When you're going through a separation or divorce, the holidays can feel like a minefield.
Divide & Thrive's Alex Beattie spoke with LMFT Melina Alden about how to navigate the holiday season after separation or divorce with kids and teens. Melina shared so many great tips for grown-ups, kids and teens including:
• Set boundaries for yourself. Check in on what feels good and what doesn't.
• Be kind to yourself. You're going through something difficult so give yourself some grace.
• Anticipate kids and teens are going to feel BIG emotions. They can manifest in behavior as well. Let them know that you are there for them.
• Don't overindulge with too much food, booze, shopping, etc. to cover up big feelings.
• You don't have to dance around the elephant in the room that things are different this year.
• Consider starting new traditions. Things don't have to be the way they always were.
• You don't have to "fake it" on days when you're not feeling celebratory.
• Give your support team a heads up that you might need some extra care this season.
• And more!
WATCH THE FULL CONVERSATION HERE
Want more resources? Scroll through D&T's blog library of interviews with divorce attorneys, financial planners, divorce coaches and therapists!